Friday, November 14, 2008

November 14, 2008: Neko Case & Her Boyfriends - "Lord, Don't Move the Mountain"

From a 2000 John Peel Session on BBC Radio 1 comes this goosebump-inducing take on the gospel standard "Lord, Don't Move the Mountain." Prior to the performance, Neko talks of learning the song from a Bessie Griffin album. I've never heard Bessie's version, but I've heard incarnations from Mahalia Jackson, Etta James, and the Five Blind Boys of Alabama. I'll put Ms. Case's version up against any of those esteemed artists. As much as I love Neko Case's own songs, I often think her greatest vocal moments happen when she lets it rip on gospel and soul covers, such as "John Saw That Number" from Fox Confessor Brings the Flood and "Runnin' Out of Fools" and "Look For Me (I'll Be Around)" from Blacklisted.

As a bonus, I decided to let the track run through John Peel's stunned reaction to the performance. It's always good to hear his voice. I still miss you, Mr. Peel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/n/nekocase/

No comments: