Wednesday, November 19, 2008

November 19, 2008: Calexico - "Glowing Heart of the World"

With Calexico playing Minneapolis this coming Saturday, I was going to wait until the weekend to write about them, but I'm learning quickly that sometimes one can simply not control the Greatest Song of the Day. I don't pick it, it picks itself.

"Glowing Heart of the World" was released on Calexico's all-instrumental tour-only EP 98-99 Road Map. The entire disc is fantastic, but "Glowing Heart" is easily the highlight. From the first time I heard the lush, soothing intro slowly building into the frenetic, Morricone-inspired gallop, I was hooked.

Rock instrumentals are not typically high-ranking on my listening agenda, but I always make an exception for Calexico. I don't mean to shortchange Calexico frontman Joey Burns' skills as a singer and songwriter, as he is one of my favorites in both departments, but Calexico's instrumentals, like great soundtracks, take me to a wonderful new place with each listen.

Calexico is performing at the Fine Line on Saturday, November 22. I highly recommend checking them out. They are, without a doubt, one of the finest live bands I have ever seen.

I found this live version of "Glowing Heart of the World" on Youtube. It's credited as "The Ride (Pt. II)," but it is actually "Glowing Heart."



www.casadecalexico.com

No comments: