Friday, November 28, 2008

November 28, 2008: Fugazi - "Merchandise"

Today we have a Black Friday special!

I miss Fugazi. A lot. I thought I was pretty cool when I walked in to my first day of high school in September 1992 wearing my Jane's Addiction "Article 1" t-shirt. I was taken aback, however, by all the punk rock upperclassmen wearing their "This Is Not a Fugazi T-Shirt" shirts like uniforms.

The Fugazi shirts, I would later discover, were bootlegs. The band was opposed to marketing itself. They had no official t-shirts, stickers, hoodies, or thongs. Every show they played was all ages and no more than a $5 cover. Fugazi was the first band I knew of who had their own moral code. I suppose it's no coincidence that they were also the first band whose politics started influencing my own.

I hope you enjoy "Merchandise." If you live in the Twin Cities, I'll also be playing it tonight during my DJ set at The King and I Thai. You should come down and hang out if you don't have other plans!



http://www.dischord.com/band/fugazi

No comments: